Students often tell me how nervous they felt on their first day and worried they felt about performing well on the placement interview. Well here are is some information and advice to help you overcome those first day nerves.
- Your interview will be done after your initial one hour grammar and writing test. So we already have an idea of your ability and will take this into consideration.
- You will be interviewed by Becky or Annette or Tanya. We are REALLY REALLY nice! So we will do our best to make you feel comfortable. We smile and laugh a lot.
- You will not be alone as there is always a nice group of new students all feeling nervous together.
- We first check that all the personal information that we have is correct; your name, your course, your length of study etc. So this is easy and should help you feel at ease.
- Then we will ask you about your accommodation to check that you are happy and satisfied with your homestay or student house.
- We then chat about your grammar score and your writing and we might ask you to tell us about your life in your country or your plans for Australia and about why you need to learn English.
- Finally we will suggest the best class for you, give you your books and explain the timetable so that you have all the information that you need.
- If you are going to study for twelve weeks or more, a detailed study plan is written for you and your teacher so that everyone knows your pathway and plans.
- RELAX! Be yourself and don’t try too hard. We will guide and help you.
- If you are really worried, practice introducing yourself in front of a mirror or even better with your host mother or father.
- If there are some important things about yourself that you want to tell us, make some notes that you can use to help remember.
- RELAX! You are not alone. This is a very friendly school and by next week you will settled in and feeling sorry for the next new group of ‘newbies’.